taking footprints

leave only footprints, take only memories. nah, i am taking my footprints with me.

10.29.2001

in 1993 i bought a pair of simple sneakers. old skool, kinda an olive green colour. i still have them. as a matter of fact, i am wearing them now. yup. right now as i type this. one of the few non-birkenstock pairs i own. back when i bought them, simple was a tiny company, started by two cal poly art&design students. they made two different kinds of sneakers. and they had a really cool catalog. full of drawings and sketches and thoughts on life. not your normal catalog. it was actually inspiring. i can't think of a catalog i have seen since then that has been that thoughtful and interesting.

simple has now been bought by a big corporate conglomerate - 'deckers outdoor'. it's just not the same.

but from that catalog, back in '93, i cut out a small square of paper with inspiring words on it. words that i wanted to live by. i taped the piece of paper to my computer monitor. (13", on my 486). it was an important piece of paper. each time i change computers, it went with me. first to my 486 replacement. then my first planning job. my second planning job. my mom's old computer (which was my first work-from-home machine), then to my 19" flat screen. it is tattered and torn. but it sill makes me think "yes. that's IT. that's how it should be." and everything in the world seems better, if just for that brief moment.

what does it say? here ya go. read. think. enjoy.





follow your heart. think big.
love open space. cherish your family.
know that all children need love.
plant trees. listen for the birds.
cherish the land. save prairies,
forests, wetlands, woods and streams.
stop sprawl. preserve farmland.
reserve habitat for wildlife.
think small. one small planet.
safeguard clean air and water.
use alternative energy. recycle.
take positive action. work for peace.
promote harmony. create joy.
love others. teach by example.
see beauty around you. enjoy art.
collect beautiful things.
make mistakes. trust yourself.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home